DIY Dialog

2000 VW Passat 1.8 Turbo

This question is answered

I have replace the water cooling sensor/the sensor that it's on the lower hose to the radiator the thermostat and it still over-heating. I also put( Antifreeze Dot 3 ) by mistake do's it matter if I didn't put (Dot4 antifreeze)?? I really need help.

Verified Answer
  • You can look up your vehicle's make/model at ChiltonDIY.com.There you can browse the table of contents to see what is covered before purchasing the online manual. (Click on the plus signs to reveal the subheadings.) Subscribe to view, print, and save from the repair procedures, specifications, technical service bulletins, diagnostics, maintenance intervals and more.

DOT3 and DOT4 are brake fluid Check your owner's manual or your Chilton subscription for the correct coolant (also called antifreeze) to use and the amount. Follow this path in ChiltonDIY: PATH: Engine Cooling > Engine Coolant > Coolant Recommendations

Check the coolant flow. VW water pump impellers are made of plastic, they are known to fracture, causing overheating.  PATH: Engine Cooling > Water Pump > Removal & Installation > 1.8L Engine

All Replies
  • You can look up your vehicle's make/model at ChiltonDIY.com.There you can browse the table of contents to see what is covered before purchasing the online manual. (Click on the plus signs to reveal the subheadings.) Subscribe to view, print, and save from the repair procedures, specifications, technical service bulletins, diagnostics, maintenance intervals and more.

DOT3 and DOT4 are brake fluid Check your owner's manual or your Chilton subscription for the correct coolant (also called antifreeze) to use and the amount. Follow this path in ChiltonDIY: PATH: Engine Cooling > Engine Coolant > Coolant Recommendations

Check the coolant flow. VW water pump impellers are made of plastic, they are known to fracture, causing overheating.  PATH: Engine Cooling > Water Pump > Removal & Installation > 1.8L Engine