DIY Dialog

2003 Buick century - won't start

This question is answered

I have a 2003 Buick century..I replaced the starter,water pump,spark plugs and the battery..I try to start the car but it just won’t start up..it cranks but don’t start..any help?

From Clint, via the ChiltonDIY blog:

Verified Answer
  • Recheck the starter installation, make sure all the wires are attached and clean. gently pull on the small wires going to the starter solenoid to check for a blown fuse link at the starter wiring harness

All Replies
  • Recheck the starter installation, make sure all the wires are attached and clean. gently pull on the small wires going to the starter solenoid to check for a blown fuse link at the starter wiring harness

• Did I miss some thing here Clint? Did the car run before the starter, water pump, spark plugs and the battery were replaced?

• That's an excellent Question, have you checked for spark? I think it would be wise to check your Ignition spark. Make sure you check for spark at two or more cylinders. Please use CAUTION when checking the secondary ignition system, it has high voltage! The spark can really jolt you.

• I agree when checking for spark always proceed with CAUTION. Getting a jolt from a high energy ignition system is painful and can cause bodily harm. Use of a spark tester properly grounded to the engine is the safest method.