Driver’s Co-Pilot

All Season tires for Jeep Cherokee?

This question is answered

I'm looking for advice on tires for a Cherokee that gets driven all year round, but especially needs snow reliability. We're in Pennsylvania, where the snow comes and goes, so I don't want a dedicated winter tire. But the highways can become treacherous from drifting, the back roads are the last to be cleared, and we have a long hilly driveway.

I just started a set of Goodyear Triple Treds on an AWD wagon which Tire Rack highly recommends. The handling is much improved over the OE Continentals, even on wet roads. But we got a three inch snowfall, and I wasn’t so impressed, especially in braking. I hope my first snow impression is wrong. But I’m reluctant to jump into them again for the Jeep.

If anybody has any good experiences with an All Season tire, I’d appreciate the suggestion.

Thanks

Verified Answer
  • I have a ’98 Cherokee and am entering the 3rd winter with Goodyear Fortera Triple Treads, 235/75-15, on 3.5” offset wheels. Prior to these, I had Michelin XCX APTs. Before that I had BF Goodrich All Terrain Radials.

In terms of performance, the BFGs were best in heavy snow but not so good on ice or rain. The XCXs were good in moderate to heavy snow and not too bad in the rain. They didn’t do well on ice. Both the BFGs and XCXs were noisy on dry highway.

The Goodyear’s are good in light to moderate snow, okay in heavy snow, very good on ice and very good in the rain. They’re relatively quiet on the highway. They also do quite well off road and surprisingly well in mud. My only knock on them is that the ride is very hard.

No all terrain tire is going to stop well in the snow or on ice. If that’s a major concern, a tire such as the Bridgestone Blizzak is what you want. It’s essentially an ice tire. We run Blizzaks on our Grand Am in the winter. With them, front wheel drive and ABS the car feels very much in control in light snow and on ice. They’re also very good in the rain. The problem is, they don’t wear well because of the rubber compound that makes them so good on ice. They are a seasonal tire. You can’t run them outside of winter.

- Rich, Chilton Editorial Staff

All Replies
  • I have a ’98 Cherokee and am entering the 3rd winter with Goodyear Fortera Triple Treads, 235/75-15, on 3.5” offset wheels. Prior to these, I had Michelin XCX APTs. Before that I had BF Goodrich All Terrain Radials.

In terms of performance, the BFGs were best in heavy snow but not so good on ice or rain. The XCXs were good in moderate to heavy snow and not too bad in the rain. They didn’t do well on ice. Both the BFGs and XCXs were noisy on dry highway.

The Goodyear’s are good in light to moderate snow, okay in heavy snow, very good on ice and very good in the rain. They’re relatively quiet on the highway. They also do quite well off road and surprisingly well in mud. My only knock on them is that the ride is very hard.

No all terrain tire is going to stop well in the snow or on ice. If that’s a major concern, a tire such as the Bridgestone Blizzak is what you want. It’s essentially an ice tire. We run Blizzaks on our Grand Am in the winter. With them, front wheel drive and ABS the car feels very much in control in light snow and on ice. They’re also very good in the rain. The problem is, they don’t wear well because of the rubber compound that makes them so good on ice. They are a seasonal tire. You can’t run them outside of winter.

- Rich, Chilton Editorial Staff