Forbes Best 200 Small Companies in America list will hit news-stands with the November issue of the magazine. The top 10 list is available online. And it features 5 new members.
1. Lumber Liquidators, (Toano, VA)
2. Allegiant Travel, (Las Vegas, NV)
3. Quality Systems, (Irvine, CA)
4. LHC Group, (Lafayette, LA)
5. Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, (Waterbury, VT)
6. Transcend Services, (Atlanta, GA)
7. Rackspace Hosting, (San Antonio, TX)
8. NVE, (Eden Prairie, MN)
9. American Public Education, (Charles Town, WV)
10. American Science & Engineering, (Billerica, MA)
"Rankings are based on earnings growth, sales growth and return on equity in the past 12 months and over five years," according to Forbes. Other than success at building profitable business models during a recession, the companies don't immediately appear to have a lot in common. From retail (Lumber Liquidators and Green Mountain Roasters), to a couple of specialized engineering firms (American Science & Engineering and NVE), to health care (LHC) and education (American Public Education)A fairly varied list of companies--a range of sectors is represented. Read more about the companies here.