Technician Talk

Car stutters and struggles starting

This question is answered

My car doesn’t want to start right after I fill it up with gas. It stutters and struggles starting; I have to push on the gas pedal and rev it to get it started so I can be on my way. It is ONLY when I fill it completely up. I have not noticed this when I only put in a few dollars say if I just need to get somewhere fast…. Is this a fuel pump issue? thx
Heather

- This question is from Chilton's DIY blog article: "How to Tell if Your Fuel Pump Needs Replacing."

Verified Answer
  • It very well could be. Fuel pumps are notorious for failing at the gas pump. Another possibility is the vapor recovery system for the fuel tank. I would have the fuel pressure tested and test for trouble codes (DTCs).
    Learn about your car's fuel system, testing, fuel pressure specifications, and trouble codes at .

All Replies
  • It very well could be. Fuel pumps are notorious for failing at the gas pump. Another possibility is the vapor recovery system for the fuel tank. I would have the fuel pressure tested and test for trouble codes (DTCs).
    Learn about your car's fuel system, testing, fuel pressure specifications, and trouble codes at .