Technician Talk

01 chevy malibu - will crank but after a few seconds die even when pressing gas pedal

This question is answered

I have a 01 chevy malibu and i had the ignition switch replaced and the bcm replaced. Well i recently had a cd player installed and the radio works but my instrument panel and the gear shaft and climate control panel would not come on. Got to checking fuses and found the interior dpor light fuse needed changing so changed it and it came on so i thought maybe there are some more fuses needed changing but i made a mistake and pulled the bcm fuse. Well now my car will crank but after a few seconds die even when pressing gas pedal. Lights on dash and other listed above still not on and radio does work. Help please i need my car.

This question is from Julie, who posted on Chilton's DIY blog

Verified Answer
  • It sounds like you might need to have the vehicles BCM and the Anti-theft system reprogrammed. In your case the fact that you replaced the ignition switch and BCM  warrants reprogramming. You will need to find a shop with the capabilities to reprogram your cars BCM and Anti-theft system.

Gene Hannon Jr. (CMAT)

All Replies
  • It sounds like you might need to have the vehicles BCM and the Anti-theft system reprogrammed. In your case the fact that you replaced the ignition switch and BCM  warrants reprogramming. You will need to find a shop with the capabilities to reprogram your cars BCM and Anti-theft system.

Gene Hannon Jr. (CMAT)