Technician Talk

2004 Chevy Tahoe keeps stalling out while driving

This question is answered

My 2004 Chevy Tahoe keeps stalling out while driving. Everything stays on but when I push the gas, nothing happens and then the car just shuts off. After letting it sit 2-5 minutes, it starts up like nothing is wrong! It has over 260,000 miles on it and from what I’m told, the fuel pump has never been replaced.

This question is from Jillian who posted at the ChiltonDIY blog:

Have experience with a Chevy Tahoe? Or with stalling issues? We invite you to share.

Verified Answer
  • Hi Jillian,

In the ChiltonDIY information for your 2004 Tahoe, check out the "Diagnostics" section for how to connect a scan tool to retrieve diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), as well as how to decode DTCs, and steps to take to diagnose and repair the issue.

The procedure to test the fuel pump is in the "Fuel" section of ChiltonDIY and ChiltonPRO for the 2004 Tahoe. Here is the PATH:  Fuel Systems > Fuel Controls - 4.8L, 5.3L, And 6.0L > Diagnostic Information And Procedures > Fuel System > Fuel System Diagnosis. You'll find the correct fuel pump specification here as well.

All Replies
  • I would first scan for DTC's that may be stored in your vehicles computer, Is your check engine light on? There are many different  components that can cause your problem besides the fuel pump. Now with that said the only way to be sure about your fuel pump is to test the fuel pressure. 

Gene Hannon Jr. (CMAT)

• Hi Jillian,

In the ChiltonDIY information for your 2004 Tahoe, check out the "Diagnostics" section for how to connect a scan tool to retrieve diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), as well as how to decode DTCs, and steps to take to diagnose and repair the issue.

The procedure to test the fuel pump is in the "Fuel" section of ChiltonDIY and ChiltonPRO for the 2004 Tahoe. Here is the PATH:  Fuel Systems > Fuel Controls - 4.8L, 5.3L, And 6.0L > Diagnostic Information And Procedures > Fuel System > Fuel System Diagnosis. You'll find the correct fuel pump specification here as well.