DIY Dialog

ATF leaking from Bell Housing

This question is answered

I have a 2004 Impala with a 3.8 L engine, 4T65-E transmission that has ATF fluid leaking from the bell housing at the torque converter cover.It started out slow and now it's pouring out. I had the seal replaced and it's still leaking badly in the same area. I spent a lot of money to have that removed and replaced. I need help please.  Call or email. Thank you!

Verified Answer
  • Thank you for subscribing to ChiltonDIY! Something is definitely worn besides the seal, a thorough inspection of the related components will be needed.

The unit may wind up needing a complete overhaul. It depends on the amount of wear of the internal components.

Follow these paths in ChiltonDIY:

• PATH: Transmission, Clutch, & Transfer Case > Automatic Transmission > Automatic Transaxle - 4T65-E > Component Locator > Disassembled Views
    • PATH: Transmission, Clutch, & Transfer Case > Automatic Transmission > Automatic Transaxle - 4T65-E > Diagnostic Information and Procedures > Diagnostic Procedures > Torque Converter Diagnosis

All Replies
  • Thank you for subscribing to ChiltonDIY! Something is definitely worn besides the seal, a thorough inspection of the related components will be needed.

The unit may wind up needing a complete overhaul. It depends on the amount of wear of the internal components.

Follow these paths in ChiltonDIY:

• PATH: Transmission, Clutch, & Transfer Case > Automatic Transmission > Automatic Transaxle - 4T65-E > Component Locator > Disassembled Views
    • PATH: Transmission, Clutch, & Transfer Case > Automatic Transmission > Automatic Transaxle - 4T65-E > Diagnostic Information and Procedures > Diagnostic Procedures > Torque Converter Diagnosis