DIY Dialog

Frustrating - Intermittent Starting issue

This question is answered

I have a 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T.  that will NOT start intermittently. There is no discernible pattern, it just happens occasionally. The alternator has been replaced. When this happens I am able to jump it with one of those portable jump starters. Then its fine for a few days or weeks then it happens randomly. Sometimes it happens when it has been sitting and sometimes right after I park it to go in a store or something and when I come back out it won't start. 

I thought it might be a bad spot in the starter so the other day I sat in my driveway and turned the car on and off 25 times and it started every time. The following day I went to the gym. Parked it went in for a while and when I came back out I had to use the jumper. It started right up. 

I have had it in the shop where they tested the battery and charging system and everything checked out. 

Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this?????

Verified Answer
  • Thank you for subscribing to ChiltonDIY!

Start with these checks:

Scan for any DTCs.

Perform a battery load test, and check all power and ground locations. If it is a new battery, that’s all the more reason to check it thoroughly.

Make sure your neutral safety switch is operating correctly.

Here are some paths to check in your ChiltonDIY subscription, use the left navigation panel:

• PATH: Wiring Diagrams > 2.0L DOHC Engine > Starting System

• PATH: Wiring Diagrams > 2.0L DOHC Engine > Ground Distribution

• PATH: Wiring Diagrams > 2.0L DOHC Engine > Power Distribution

Make sure all inside/outside lights and accessories are turned off. Is there a trunk light on? A map light?

Perform a parasitic battery draw test.

All Replies
  • Thank you for subscribing to ChiltonDIY!

Start with these checks:

Scan for any DTCs.

Perform a battery load test, and check all power and ground locations. If it is a new battery, that’s all the more reason to check it thoroughly.

Make sure your neutral safety switch is operating correctly.

Here are some paths to check in your ChiltonDIY subscription, use the left navigation panel:

• PATH: Wiring Diagrams > 2.0L DOHC Engine > Starting System

• PATH: Wiring Diagrams > 2.0L DOHC Engine > Ground Distribution

• PATH: Wiring Diagrams > 2.0L DOHC Engine > Power Distribution

Make sure all inside/outside lights and accessories are turned off. Is there a trunk light on? A map light?

Perform a parasitic battery draw test.