DIY Dialog

1996 dodge ram conversion van - won't start

This question is answered

Hi, my 1996 dodge ram conversion van just stopped And I checked the oil and there’s gas in it but it won’t start someone told me it was my fuel pump… When I turn my key to the ON it make a click noise…. Got any advice…. Thank a ton….

Question from Jenn on the ChiltonDIY blog:

Verified Answer
  • Hi Jenn.

Remove the engine cover, and then the air filter housing cover. Carefully spray a few squirts of carburetor cleaner into the throttle body. If the van tries to start, you know you have a fuel problem. Dodge vans are notorious for fuel pump problems, and regulators/filters.

Test the fuel pressure, the fuel pressure test port is under the air filter lower housing on the fuel rail. Remove the test port cap, install a fuel pressure gauge and check to see whether the fuel pressure reads 49.2 +/-5 psi with the ignition key in the on position and the engine off. You may need to cycle the key on and off a few times to build up maximum pressure. The pressure should HOLD when you turn the key off. If the fuel pressure drops more than 5 psi and fast, your regulator/filters may be faulty.

Make sure the ignition system has a good hot spark. Remove one of the spark plug wires at the spark plug. Next, install a spark tester or a long insulated screw driver. Place the tip of the screw driver up inside the spark plug boot. Hold the metal of the screw drive to a good metal ground -- you can lean it against the exhaust manifold. Lift up the screw driver about 1/4 inch and check for a HOT spark.

All Replies
  • Hi Jenn.

Remove the engine cover, and then the air filter housing cover. Carefully spray a few squirts of carburetor cleaner into the throttle body. If the van tries to start, you know you have a fuel problem. Dodge vans are notorious for fuel pump problems, and regulators/filters.

Test the fuel pressure, the fuel pressure test port is under the air filter lower housing on the fuel rail. Remove the test port cap, install a fuel pressure gauge and check to see whether the fuel pressure reads 49.2 +/-5 psi with the ignition key in the on position and the engine off. You may need to cycle the key on and off a few times to build up maximum pressure. The pressure should HOLD when you turn the key off. If the fuel pressure drops more than 5 psi and fast, your regulator/filters may be faulty.

Make sure the ignition system has a good hot spark. Remove one of the spark plug wires at the spark plug. Next, install a spark tester or a long insulated screw driver. Place the tip of the screw driver up inside the spark plug boot. Hold the metal of the screw drive to a good metal ground -- you can lean it against the exhaust manifold. Lift up the screw driver about 1/4 inch and check for a HOT spark.