DIY Dialog

VW says STOP - BRAKE FAULT

This question is answered

Hi!  Anyone know how bad this will be for my pocketbook?  I was driving my 2000 Passat and it flashed STOP - BRAKE FAULT - YOU ARE SCREWED  (ok not that last part.)  I wonder how bad this will be.  ANyone know cost on an ABS Module (i'm assuming that is it.)

Verified Answer
  • Hello Ron,
    When your vehicle flashes "STOP - BRAKE FAULT," find out what the trouble is before driving anywhere except to repair it.
    You could find yourself without brakes or enough braking power to stop safely when this message appears.
    It's not safe to assume the problem is the ABS module. It could be leaks, the master cylinder or other mechanical issues
    (even a computer malfunction). To discover whether you need to replace your ABS module, capture the data from your
    Passat first. If you intend to do this yourself, follow the service procedures.
    If it does turn out to be an ABS module, the price can vary considerably depending upon where you purchase it and if you
    want a new or rebuilt module. You can research pricing online and at your local VW dealer.

All Replies
  • Hello Ron,
    When your vehicle flashes "STOP - BRAKE FAULT," find out what the trouble is before driving anywhere except to repair it.
    You could find yourself without brakes or enough braking power to stop safely when this message appears.
    It's not safe to assume the problem is the ABS module. It could be leaks, the master cylinder or other mechanical issues
    (even a computer malfunction). To discover whether you need to replace your ABS module, capture the data from your
    Passat first. If you intend to do this yourself, follow the service procedures.
    If it does turn out to be an ABS module, the price can vary considerably depending upon where you purchase it and if you
    want a new or rebuilt module. You can research pricing online and at your local VW dealer.