DIY Dialog

My 1999 Chevy S10

This question is answered

Ok. About 3 weeks ago, my s10 died on me about 15 feet from home. No warning at all. Tried cranking it several times, just turning over. Got it parked and have been going step by step checking everything. Gas tank is full, fuel pump comes on and hums perfectly, took off fuel filter and it had a small amount of discoloring so I cleaned it out with clean gas so that's good. I have gas at the check valve but that's it. Took off the air filter and yes it needs a new one, but I just vacuumed the crap out of it and will get a new one asap. Unhooked the Throttle body and cleaned it out (not dirty at all) and wiped out the breather. Checked for spark by doing the screw driver in the plug boot while my daughter turned it over trick. Pretty blue spark. I have a book that I have read 5 times these last two weeks and I can't figure it out. Today, a neighbor let me borrow his code reader, which I just knew would answer it all, but no. It came up no codes. The check engine light has never come on but I the book says a reader can pull up codes without that light coming on. So now I have a truck that the computer says has nothing wrong with it but it wont crank. Oh, and I put a ton of gas in the breather and tried to crank it with nothing. That rules out the injectors. My next step now is the cam sensor and crank sensor which I have located, but I have no digital meter. Is that a good next step and how can I check them without a meter? Thanks! I

Verified Answer
  • Follow these paths in your subscription to

PATH: Engine Electrical > Distributor Ignition System > Diagnosis & Testing > Secondary Spark Test - Recheck the ignition system, make sure you have a hot spark on all cylinders.

PATH: Engine Electrical > Distributorless Ignition System > Diagnosis & Testing - Pull all the spark plugs, inspect, and test compression.

PATH: Fuel Systems > Fuel Pump > Testing - Check the fuel pressure with a pressure gauge; is it within specifications?

PATH: Engine Mechanical > Timing Chain & Sprockets > Removal & Installation > 2.2L Engine - If it’s a 2.2L, make sure the timing chain has not jumped.

PATH: Fuel Systems > Fuel Rail (Supply Manifold) & Injectors > Removal & Installation

PATH: Engine Performance & Emission Controls > Components & Systems > Exhaust Gas Recirculation System > Testing - If it’s 4.3L, check the EGR valve and fuel injection system.

All Replies
  • Follow these paths in your subscription to

PATH: Engine Electrical > Distributor Ignition System > Diagnosis & Testing > Secondary Spark Test - Recheck the ignition system, make sure you have a hot spark on all cylinders.

PATH: Engine Electrical > Distributorless Ignition System > Diagnosis & Testing - Pull all the spark plugs, inspect, and test compression.

PATH: Fuel Systems > Fuel Pump > Testing - Check the fuel pressure with a pressure gauge; is it within specifications?

PATH: Engine Mechanical > Timing Chain & Sprockets > Removal & Installation > 2.2L Engine - If it’s a 2.2L, make sure the timing chain has not jumped.

PATH: Fuel Systems > Fuel Rail (Supply Manifold) & Injectors > Removal & Installation

PATH: Engine Performance & Emission Controls > Components & Systems > Exhaust Gas Recirculation System > Testing - If it’s 4.3L, check the EGR valve and fuel injection system.