DIY Dialog

03 ford explorer xlt 4.0 - stalling issue

This question is answered

Howdy. I have a 03 ford explorer xlt 4.0. I was driving and all of a sudden the car stalled. It started right back up, but I could not go more then 10mph. When I made it home I parked for a few an when back out to it. Started right back up. Gave it gas and the rpms would not go over 2500. I replaced the fuel filter,hopping that was it and it was not. So I put in a new mafs and that did not help. I need help what dose it sound like I need to replace the fuel pump?

Question from Chilton's DIY blog:

Verified Answer
  • Hi Eric.

Scan your vehicle's computer for diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), this might help you pin down the problem.

If there are no DTCs related to the symptoms, check out the section "What to do when there are no DTCs" for troubleshooting charts and checks. Use the navigation tree in your ChiltonDIY 2003 Ford Explorer subscription, here's the PATH:  Diagnostics > Symptom Diagnosis (No Codes) > What To Do When There Are No DTCs.

Check out the HC Fuel Delivery Systems and their diagnostics:

Have you had a similar issue with your vehicle? Share your experience ....

All Replies
  • Hi Eric.

Scan your vehicle's computer for diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), this might help you pin down the problem.

If there are no DTCs related to the symptoms, check out the section "What to do when there are no DTCs" for troubleshooting charts and checks. Use the navigation tree in your ChiltonDIY 2003 Ford Explorer subscription, here's the PATH:  Diagnostics > Symptom Diagnosis (No Codes) > What To Do When There Are No DTCs.

Check out the HC Fuel Delivery Systems and their diagnostics:

Have you had a similar issue with your vehicle? Share your experience ....