DIY Dialog

V8 1986 JEEP WAGONEER TRANS PUMP SEAL REPLACEMENT

This question is answered

Looking for any tips to help me do this replacement I am replacing the trans pump rear seal on my 1986 jeep grand wagoneer it is 4x4 and a v8 i was told that if i did not have and broken pieces of my trans in the pan that this is the problem i was told that i have no pressure in the pump and that's why i my transmission is not engaging i am not a mechanic but i am not stupid i am an electrician and really savy when it comes to these kinds of things . i have two books but neither one really helps with this problem . any advice will be greatly appreciated . i am tackling this job myself because i own 2 wagoneers and cant afford to take m to the shop anymore with gas prices the way they are and the economy being what it is we have to cut back on everything and if i can do these repairs on my own it will help this is also going to turn into a restoration job  a little further down the road as you know jeeps will last forever if you take care and maintain them ...

WAGONEERDAD

JEEPS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Verified Answer
  • The no start condition and the no park condition may just be a simple shifter linkage adjustment.

The neutral safety switch is to the right of the bell crank, does this look familiar? This type of switch is not adjustable and if failure occurs it must be replaced. If the shifter linkage is not properly adjusted this would cause both of your problems. Use caution when loosening the lock-nut. Use penetrating oil to help with the removal. Follow the instructions below.

(Except 30rh/32rh, 42re/44re and Aw4 Models)
    1. Raise and support the truck on jackstands.

2. Loosen the shift rod trunnion locknuts.

3. Remove the lockpin retaining the shift rod trunnion to the bellcrank and disengage the trunnion and shift rod from the bellcrank.

Loosen the locknut (1). Remove the lockpin retaining the shift rod. Disengage the trunnion (2) and shift rod (3) at the bellcrank (4)

Loosen the locknut (1). Remove the lockpin retaining the shift rod. Disengage the trunnion (2) and shift rod (3) at the bellcrank (4)

1. Place the shift lever in P and lock the steering column.

2. Move the lever on the transmission rearward to the P detent. Park is the last possible rearward position.

3. Check to make sure that P is engaged, by trying to rotate the driveshaft by hand.

4. Adjust the shift rod trunnion so that the pin fits freely in the bellcrank arm and tighten the trunnion locknuts. Prevent the shift rod from turning while tightening the locknuts.

All lash in the linkage must be eliminated to provide for proper adjustment. Lash can be eliminated by pulling downward on the shift rod and pressing upward on the bellcrank.

1. Check that the engine starts in only the P and N positions, and that all shift ranges work properly.

2. Lower the truck.

All Replies
  • Hi there,

What transmission is in your Jeep? Is it original?

• yes it is original i just went down there and took out all remaining fluid and could not find any pieces of the seal or the trans . i replaced the filter and the fluid and now its moving but the jeep will not start in park it only starts in neutral and wont stay running unless i am gassing it i removed the inspection plate to see the flywheel as the autozone clerk suggested but don't know what i am looking for . i have had a flywheel blow out on me before on my camaro but this is not the same . i drove it up the street here and it drove fine it switched gears and everything but i still have a leak from somewhere and like i said now it wont start in park only in neutral . i have the jeep chiltons book but dont really know where to start dont really know if it is the rear seal or not . i do see a little leak residue on the flywheel . please any added info will help tremendously .. thanks

WAGONEERDAD

• Hi,

Thanks for the information. There were more than one transmissions on the 1986 V8 Wagoneer; which transmission do you have?

• Dont know where would i find that info ?

WAGONEERDAD

• If the vehicle in question will only start in neutral, I would guess you have a problem with the neutral safety switch.

I'm not sure which transmission you have. The Aw4 has an adjustable neutral safety switch. (Please check the media gallery to see the two images for the AW4 transmission and the Wagoneer without the AW4 transmission. To get to the media gallery, click on "Media" at the bar at the top. Then click on "Chilton.") 

As far as the leaks go, a front transmission pump seal would leak around the inspection cover for the flywheel, and a rear seal would leak between the transmission and transfer-case. You mentioned previously something about a rear oil pump seal, I would think that would be an internal transmission leak which could cause low pressure, not a leak.

Try cleaning off all the fluid around the transmission and transfer case, run the vehicle on the road for at least 10-15 minutes and recheck for your leak.

•  

1986 Wagoneer - AW4 Transmission

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

1986 Wagoneer - without the AW4 Transmission

• thanks i could not find this diagram . it is aw4 trans . where is this located i see the diagram but dont know is it in the front or back of thr trans .... Thanks again you have beeen a great help. this really means alot durring these hard economic times

WAGONEERDAD

• Also does this have to be taken off and replaced . or reset ? 

WAGONEERDAD

• my bad i put that it is aw4 i ment it is not aw4 big mixup

WAGONEERDAD

• would this also be the reason that it will not go into park.

WAGONEERDAD

• The no start condition and the no park condition may just be a simple shifter linkage adjustment.

The neutral safety switch is to the right of the bell crank, does this look familiar? This type of switch is not adjustable and if failure occurs it must be replaced. If the shifter linkage is not properly adjusted this would cause both of your problems. Use caution when loosening the lock-nut. Use penetrating oil to help with the removal. Follow the instructions below.

(Except 30rh/32rh, 42re/44re and Aw4 Models)
    1. Raise and support the truck on jackstands.

2. Loosen the shift rod trunnion locknuts.

3. Remove the lockpin retaining the shift rod trunnion to the bellcrank and disengage the trunnion and shift rod from the bellcrank.

1. Place the shift lever in P and lock the steering column.

2. Move the lever on the transmission rearward to the P detent. Park is the last possible rearward position.

3. Check to make sure that P is engaged, by trying to rotate the driveshaft by hand.

4. Adjust the shift rod trunnion so that the pin fits freely in the bellcrank arm and tighten the trunnion locknuts. Prevent the shift rod from turning while tightening the locknuts.

All lash in the linkage must be eliminated to provide for proper adjustment. Lash can be eliminated by pulling downward on the shift rod and pressing upward on the bellcrank.

1. Check that the engine starts in only the P and N positions, and that all shift ranges work properly.

2. Lower the truck.