Driver’s Co-Pilot

Do I have to get an alignment with new tires?

This question is answered

Hi.

I'm going to buy four new tires. The dealer says I "really should" get an alignment with new tires for an additional $84.

I'm skeptical. However, the last time I got tires (really cheap ones), they wore very quickly and the people who sold them to me said I should've gotten an alignment at time of purchase. I had about 10,000 miles at that point. So, they did the alignment for free at that time with the worn tires. They also said that next time I get tires I should get an alignment. Those tires are done now, at about 22,000 miles.

The car is a New Beetle with about 65,000 miles. It doesn't pull or  wander at all.

Thanks for your help.

Verified Answer
  • Generally an alignment is not needed with new tires, assuming they're installed and the wheels are mounted properly.

Did your tires wear evenly across all four wheels? No unusual wear on one side or in the middle? If not, and the car is not pulling, I'd personally say an alignment is not needed.

All Replies
  • Generally an alignment is not needed with new tires, assuming they're installed and the wheels are mounted properly.

Did your tires wear evenly across all four wheels? No unusual wear on one side or in the middle? If not, and the car is not pulling, I'd personally say an alignment is not needed.