1995 Neon fuel fill/vent line?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2 Posts
Tommy posted on 31 Dec 2011 9:42 PM

I recently replaced the fuel tank on my 1995 Plymouth Neon with a fuel tank harvested from a 1996 Dodge Neon. The entire procedure was pretty simple and easy, and i even replaced my fuel filter while i was down there.

The problem is that now when i go to fill up, it always wants to "burp" out gas from the fill line unless im filling VERY slowly. This makes me think that the tank cavity is no longer vented, and the displaced air is traveling up the fill line. 

i checked the vent line (attaches to a barb on the top of the tank), and it is properly attached and is not plugged. What else could be causing my fill-up problem? Thanks,

-Tommy

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2 Posts
Verified by Chilton_Editor

I pulled the tank off again, and noticed a little white receptical for the fill line vent tube that i don't recall seeing previously. During re-assembly this time, i made sure that the orange vent tube landed inside the white receptical, and now everything works. Would have been nice to have that little nuance specified in the repair manual...

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
203 Posts

If this problem started after your tank replacement, double check all the lines and hoses to make sure nothing is pinched closed.

Also, used tanks sit and bugs and debris can cause problems in lines and valves.

Double check to be sure that the two years are interchangeable.

Sounds like you have a blocked vent, so it's like trying to blow into a soda bottle.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2 Posts
Verified by Chilton_Editor

I pulled the tank off again, and noticed a little white receptical for the fill line vent tube that i don't recall seeing previously. During re-assembly this time, i made sure that the orange vent tube landed inside the white receptical, and now everything works. Would have been nice to have that little nuance specified in the repair manual...

Top 10 Contributor
203 Posts

Tommy thanks for the "field work."  We are updating our online service and repair procedure.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS