Battery/Starter Problem

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
4 Posts
Stevej66 posted on 30 Nov 2011 1:05 PM

I have a 1980 MGB with a Chevy V8. My problem is the battery is located 5 feet from the starter (Hi-Torque), I'm using 2AWG welding cable (starter end copper and battery end brass) but sometimes the starter will not engage until I've punched the button 10 or more times. Most of the time it starts first punch. I've switched starters/solenoids and oversized the exciter wire from the power sourse to the starter button and to the starter solenoid. Any ideas what the problem is.

Thanks,

Steve

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 25 Contributor
4 Posts
Thanks for the info but it was the starter solenoid that was the problem. It was a new high torque starter and I guess the solenoid was made in China. After all the other checks with no luck, I replaced the solenoid and no more problems.
Steve

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
203 Posts

Sounds like the starter button to me, have you tried a new one? If the engine cranks fine, but the starter just won't engage sometimes and you have changed the soilenoid and feed wire, it could be the button.

Top 25 Contributor
4 Posts

I have done all the following and it still klicks the solenoid but will not excite the starter most of the time without punching the starter button 5-10 times:

1. New starter button.

2. 2AWG welding cable from battery to starter (5 feet long)

3. Starter button way over size wire from hot input on starter to starter button to solenoid

4. Grounded starter directly to negative side of battery

5. 750 cranking amp battery

6. Tried 3 different starters/solenoids

Top 10 Contributor
203 Posts

Have you checked the solenoid ground, engine ground? Try moving the ground point at the engine to a new location.

Top 25 Contributor
4 Posts

Done that, starter is direct grounded to battery.

Thankyou for your reply,

Steve

Top 100 Contributor
1 Posts

Hi Stevej66,

From what I've read so far, it seems as if you have exhausted all of your electrical faults in your system. Now you need to look at the mechanical side to your problem. 1) The starter motor will not spin unless the starter drive has fully extended itself into the ring gear of your flywheel/flexplate. ONLY then will the solenoid transfer current to the armature to turn the engine. 2) Possible problems: Ring gear can be defective on flywheel/flexplate, starter motor may need shims between it and the engine block. Test the ring gear possibility the next time it clicks, Note: make sure the ignition is off or disabled. Rotate the engine manually a few degrees then retry. If I understood you correctly, the starter motor will turn the engine sometimes and sometimes it won't, only after kicking the starter drive out a few times will it eventually turn the engine, if that's correct then try test above. If it turns right away you may want consider changing flywheel/flexplate. If turning the engine manually dosn't work you may consider adding some shims between the starter and the engine block.

Either way good luck,

windycity 

Top 25 Contributor
4 Posts
Thanks for the info but it was the starter solenoid that was the problem. It was a new high torque starter and I guess the solenoid was made in China. After all the other checks with no luck, I replaced the solenoid and no more problems.
Steve
Top 10 Contributor
203 Posts

Steve, thanks for letting us know about your MGB. Glad you fixed the problem!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS